Anxiety can be a scary thing. In my personal experience, grounding yourself is a good technique to reduce anxiety and promote well-being.
Here are five tips to help ground you ground yourself when experiencing anxiety:
5) Acknowledge five things you can see.
4) Acknowledge four things you can touch.
3) Acknowledge three things you can hear.
2) Acknowledge two things you can smell.
1) Acknowledge one thing you can taste.
Smelling fragrance, in my experience, is a great way to acknowledge your sense of smell. Fragrance can remind you of past pleasant experiences related to that scent and create a welcoming environment. Overall, using your five senses is a great technique to reduce anxiety and remind yourself that everything will be okay.
please note: I am not a mental health professional nor claim to be. If you are in crisis I have listed some Canadian resources below.
Canadian Crisis Services Canada: 1.833.456.4566
Toronto Distress Center Crisis Line: (416) 408-4357